A national team that provides practical advice while always keeping clients’ long-term strategic goals top of mind
The maze of regulations related to workplace health & safety can be overwhelming. Yet your bottom line and reputation depend on successfully navigating these legal complexities.
That’s why companies from all business sectors – from mining, to power generation to manufacturing - turn to McCarthy Tétrault for advice. With offices across the country, we offer integrated service on health & safety matters to Canadian and foreign-based companies doing business in Canada. At the same time, our deep knowledge of provincial laws allows us to surpass boutique firms in providing expert advice specific to the local realities of your business no matter where you operate in Canada.
With a team of skillful advocates providing practical and strategic counsel, we build capacity in our clients to make their in-house teams more effective and capable of dealing with the myriad health & safety issues that arise in safety sensitive environments.
In all three areas of health & safety, our team provides help with:
Occupational Health & Safety
- advice about complying with federal and provincial regulations and avoiding costly disputes;
- representation with respect to compliance and stop orders, including appeals to tribunals; and
- managing investigations and defending charges.
Workplace Safety and Insurance/Workers’ Compensation
- staying current with the constantly changing requirements of workplace safety and insurance;
- assessing your liabilities in the areas of return to work obligations, the duty to accommodate, labour market re-entry and entitlement to benefits;
- assisting with audits and investigations by government bodies; and
- representing you, if necessary, in prosecutions or appeals.
Public Health & Safety
- understanding and minimizing your public health & safety liabilities
- representing you before coroner’s inquests and public inquiries; and
- other litigation, such as class action claims.
Environmental and health & safety issues often go hand in hand. We help you address these complex needs seamlessly with the convenience of one highly skilled Environmental Health & Safety team. Many of our workplace health & safety specialists have extensive experience in environmental issues and are steeped in the emerging and existing legislation and case law.