Student Programs Coordinator
May 12, 2022
At McCarthy Tétrault, we offer challenging and rewarding career opportunities and are delighted to have been selected for the tenth consecutive year in 2022 as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers. Our culture is built on professional excellence, collaboration, innovation, thought leadership and entrepreneurialism. We embrace inclusion in all its forms and we provide the tools and opportunities to help our people develop to their full potential.
This position can be based out of Montreal. McCarthy Tétrault employees benefit from a hybrid work environment.
As a Student Programs Coordinator, you will be:
- Coordinating secondments, on-boarding, departures and rotations of Summer Students, Articling Students and/or Co-op Students.
- Assisting in the development, coordination and facilitation of the Summer Student, Articling Student and/or Co-op Student Orientation. Liaising with various departments to establish new hire training programs and to facilitate payroll.
- Organizing social events for students.
- Ensuring that all student activities and documents are completed in accordance with the relevant Law Society or Québec Bar policies and procedures. Ensuring that all Law Society, Québec Bar or other relevant fees are paid on behalf of the articling students.
- Creating and maintaining the student rotation schedule in order to meet practice area staffing requirements and the professional development needs of the students, and working with the Student Director to assign mentors and principals. Organizing and preparing the agenda for regular meetings with students.
- Administering the student performance evaluation process, including tracking all performance reviews, following up on outstanding feedback and coordinating the review schedule.
- Supporting the Director, Student Programs and the Practice Groups in preparing and organizing information in connection with the hire back process.
- Providing guidance to students and lawyers by advising on Firm and Student Program protocol, practices and procedures.
Law School Liaison and Recruitment
- Acting as a liaison with Law Schools by providing written material and required correspondence as necessary. This includes:
- Liaising with the Student Committee and Law School Liaison Committee with ongoing issues and concerns.
- Assisting the Student Director and Law School liaison representatives with organizing outreach, including career fairs, events, sponsorships etc. This responsibility includes liaising with the Marketing Department to coordinate the profiling of such sponsorships and events.
- Working with Law School Career Development offices to coordinate firm attendance at career fairs, events, sponsorships etc.
- Reviewing with the Director, Student Programs recruitment marketing collateral and suggesting updates and changes. Liaising with the Marketing Department to coordinate changes.
- Ensuring that applications for the Summer Student, Articling Student and/or Co-op Student programs are processed according to Firm procedures. Organizing and conducting the initial administration of resumes, then submitting for further review by the Director, Student Programs and interview teams.
- Coordinating, where relevant, the Summer Student, Articling Student and/or Co-op Student recruitment process. Creating interview schedules, sending out decline/accept correspondence, organizing dinners and receptions, preparing interviewers information manuals, and organizing various meetings.
- Maintaining Student Program file records and, where appropriate, completing program profile sheets for student social events and l liaison events to ensure historical records are up to date.
- Where applicable, updating and implementing revised Student Program policies, Student Handbook and Committee Manuals as approved by the Director, Student Programs.
- Review and modify, if applicable, expenses relating to the Student Program budget.
- Where appropriate and depending on region, attending Student Committee meetings and preparing agendas, reports/statistics and minutes, as required.
- Maintaining the retention and integrity of confidential student personnel files.
- Working with the Associate, Professional Resources and Education Coordinators, as required, and in Québec, provide support to the Professional Resource Director in the absence of the Associate Coordinator.
As our ideal candidate, you will have:
- Post Secondary education in Administration or a related field.
- Minimum of 6 years office experience.
- One to two years as a Human Resource Coordinator, an asset.
- Must be flexible during heavy workload periods. Job can require flexible lunch hours and some evening work will be necessary for events and during recruitment periods.
- Exceptional accuracy and detail orientation.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work efficiently with minimum supervision.
- Ability to multi task and prioritize.
As a member of the McCarthy team, you will have access to:
- Outstanding benefits from day one, including insurance premiums paid by the Firm and wellness and technology reimbursements.
- Competitive compensation, paid overtime and generous time off, including a day off to volunteer and a day off for your birthday.
- A commitment to professional development and growth opportunities for our people at all levels, supported by a culture that fully embraces and encourages two-way feedback.
- Strong community involvement and a commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- A collaborative, cohesive culture that connects lawyers and business teams through collective purpose.
How to apply:
We invite you to submit your application to [email protected]. We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status. McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. Please notify us if you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process.