Financial Analyst, Business Insights
May 02, 2022
At McCarthy Tétrault, we offer challenging and rewarding career opportunities and are delighted to have been selected for the tenth consecutive year in 2022 as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers. Our culture is built on professional excellence, collaboration, innovation, thought leadership and entrepreneurialism. We embrace inclusion in all its forms and we provide the tools and opportunities to help our people develop to their full potential.
The Business Insights team plays a crucial role in supporting the Leadership Team at Canada’s most innovative law firm. The Financial Analyst role requires a team-oriented, analytical, and interpretive individual with not only strong data analytics and visualization skills, but also is passionate about driving business performance forward. As part of a high-performing and collaborative team, your role will focus on the capture, use, and analysis of financial data for both financial reporting and key strategic business initiatives. With strong analytical skills (Excel, SQL, PowerBI, and SSRS) as well as the ability to provide actionable recommendations, you will have the opportunity to combine business acumen, cross-functional stakeholder management, and intellectual curiosity to influence pricing decisions and/or operational strategy development.
This position can be based out of Toronto. McCarthy Tétrault employees benefit from a hybrid work environment.
As a Financial Analyst, your impacts include:
- Reporting on a regular (monthly/quarterly) and ad hoc basis of Firm, practice, region, industry group, timekeeper, client, or matter/case revenue results, for our internal and external clients.
- Developing/maintaining report templates for revenue and profitability reporting for use by the Professional Resources, Clients & Markets/Business Development, Client Service Delivery and other firm leaders.
- Supporting the ongoing development and automation efforts for the above reports, including efforts to enable self-serve reporting capabilities (via BI/SSRS tools or SharePoint) for internal clients.
Business Planning Support
- Contributing to the Firm’s revenue budgeting and forecasting processes and annual attorney admissions/bonus analysis, including data gathering and input, productivity and rate analysis, and assistance with the preparation of executive-level presentations.
- Supporting the Management Team with data gathering and analysis required as part of the annual standard and non-standard rate setting exercise, including the ongoing maintenance of special rates for clients/matters and rates for new timekeepers.
Project & Team Support
- Conducting external research and analysis of the Firm’s results against the benchmarking information available.
- Supporting the setup/maintenance efforts of new hire Timekeeper IDs nationally.
- Supporting the on boarding, training and coaching of Reporting Analysts and co-op students within the Business Analysis team
- Ad hoc reporting and analysis as required.
As our ideal candidate, you will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (eg. Accounting, Finance or Business Administration).
- Accounting designation, Master’s Degree (MBA) or Master’s in a related field – completed or working towards completion.
- 3-5 years of related work experience post-graduation.
- Advanced skills in MS Excel and BI tools for both query and visualization is strongly desired (i.e., SQL, VBA, Power BI, Iridium etc.). Familiarity/experience with practice management applications (e.g. Aderant Expert) an asset but not required.
- Familiarity/experience with SharePoint or other self-serve reporting tools (e.g. Service Now, SSRS) desired but not required.
- Outstanding analytical and problem solving skills to distill complex business issues into simple and actionable data; adept at synthesizing data into meaningful insights.
- Strong written and communication skills, with a demonstrated ability to summarize and convey complex information in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with others within and outside the Finance department in order to influence/obtain buy-in on common goals.
- Very strong time management and organizational skills with the ability to juggle multiple competing priorities and work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Innovative, proactive, and forward thinking with a commitment to end-user requirements and focus on continuous improvement; proven aptitude towards learning new applications.
As a member of the McCarthy team, you will have access to:
- Outstanding benefits from day one, including insurance premiums paid by the Firm and wellness and technology reimbursements.
- Competitive compensation, paid overtime and generous time off, including a day off to volunteer and a day off for your birthday.
- A commitment to professional development and growth opportunities for our people at all levels, supported by a culture that fully embraces and encourages two-way feedback.
- Strong community involvement and a commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- A collaborative, cohesive culture that connects lawyers and business teams through collective purpose.
How to apply:
We invite you to submit your application to [email protected]. We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status. McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. Please notify us if you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process.